Re: worry: Debian buster and debian based distributions will miss kernel 5 and AMD Free Sync for 2 years

Le mer. 17 avr. 2019 17:36, Thierry Vilmart <thierry.vilmart@tobii.com> a écrit :
Hi,

Let me just express my worry that Debian buster and debian based
distributions like Ubuntu will miss kernel 5 and AMD Free Sync for 2
years until next Debian release in 2 years.
I for one, am not afraid of this. Backports for New major versions have been available in the past (ex: the 4.x line in Jessie).
One thing I'm rather happy about, in fact, is NOT to undergo a cowboy-style major version upgrade at gunpoint.

fact 1: AMD Free sync needs the kernel 5, and it is a very nice feature
to adapt the monitor's refresh rate smarter than V-sync, and to avoid
tearing.

fact 2: kernel 4.19 goes out of life in Dec 2020

As debated on the debian forum.

Best Regards
Thierry Vilmart