Re: Debian kernel bugs

On Friday, 15 March 2019 1:44:58 AM AEST Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-03-14 at 04:35 +0000, Russell Coker wrote:
> > Is there an archive of all the kernels that have been uploaded to Unstable
> > that I could do a binary search on and find out which version had the
> > change that broke things for me?
>
> snapshots.d.o should have everything, including the ones which went to
> experimental etc.
>
> I don't have any specific advice for debugging suspend/resume though,
> sorry (I can say it works ok on my 4th gen carbon X1, but I think
> that's not the latest by at least a gen if not two).

Thanks for the advice.  I did a binary search through the kernels on snapshots
and found that 4.10.0-trunk-amd64 (possibly the earliest one that's later than
Stretch) had the problem too.

Now I'm on 5.0.0-trunk-amd64 which has been going fine for 5 days and probably
has no problems in this regard (usually the problem occurs in 1-2 days but
there's enough variation that it's not impossible I just got lucky).  I guess
I can track Unstable for kernel releases on my laptop until Bullseye is
released.

As an aside, the Stretch kernel lacks the NNP SE Linux functionality that is
in the Buster kernel which means that some daemons like mysqld run with
elevated privileges.  I'll blog about this shortly.  The summary is that a
Stretch kernel with Buster SE Linux userspace (particularly systemd) is an
unsupported configuration.  It is not possible to get a SE Linux system with
Buster systemd and Stretch kernel to work correctly.

Russell Coker