Re: Fixing stretch debian-installer on armhf

Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> (2019-03-07):
> On Thu, 2019-03-07 at 14:39 +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> [...]
> > > * Rebuild the debian-installer images, pulling in updates from
> > >   stretch-updates, leaving only armhf netboot targets broken.
> >
> > Expanding a bit: rebuilding src:debian-installer from the stretch
> > branch, which has s-p-u enabled, would fetch the fixed kernel and a
> > couple of its udebs, at build time; the resulting netboot images
> > wouldn't know about s-p-u though at run time, and would try to load
> > udebs from stretch.
> [...]
>
> Why is that a problem?  The only change made in 4.9.144-3.1 is in the
> kernel image, and the module udebs don't have versioned dependencies.

I had planned to clarify in this mail thread the limitations I was
mentioning in my early replies on IRC. I don't think I've said this
specific combination of kernel and udebs can't work. I hope people
knowledgeable about kernel and arm* stuff can figure out both what
theory (source code/packaging) and reality (tests on actual HW) look
like.

Cheers,