Re: enabling orange-fs support

Dear Alois Schlögl,

On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 02:36:05PM +0200, Alois Schloegl wrote:

> We are looking into distributed, parallel filesystems like beegfs and
> orangefs. I'd prefer orangefs (mainly because of its license terms).
>
> We'd like to use Debian/stable for this set up, unfortunately, the
> current debian kernel has orange-fs support disabled.

I see it got merged in 4.9 hence stable would be possible.

> Is there a chance that orange-fs will be supported in future
> debian-kernel releases ? What is  the reason for not enabling orange-fs
> (except that the configuration resides only in the "miscellaneous
> filesystem") ?

Unless it has other dependencies, which I haven't checked,
it is very likely an oversight.

> What would be needed in order to enable orange-fs support in the debian
> kernel releases ?

Would you mind filling a wishlist bug against the unstable linux-image?
Then once changed this would propagate into Testing.
Afterwards this could be considered for a next stable update.

Thanks for your input!

Kind regards,
maximilian