newer kernel supports new hardware

Package: debian-kernel-handbook

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 09:20:22AM +0100, Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 06:21:00AM +0200, Doru Iorgulescu wrote:
> > I copy /usr/src/linux-4.14.20/drivers/scsi/megaraid/ to
> > /usr/ser/linux-4.9.82/drivers/scsi/megaraid/
> > I compile the kernel 4.9.82, and the result is OK!
> >
> > It is possible a kernel patch for that ?
>
>    :-)
>
> I think that question is some what crippled by a language problem
> or another source for misunderstanding.

The question was raised
as https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2018/02/msg00339.html
and https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2018/02/msg00194.html
and became https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=891067

This bugreport against Debian kernel handbook is for asking
to document what to do when new kernel supports new hardware.

That `make deb` builds a .deb which can be installed
with `dpkg -i ../linux-image-*.deb`

What the policy is about backporting and releasing new kernels in stable.
(See also https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=890393 )

The idea, the wish, is that upon future simular questions
posted at d-kernel@l.d.o  and/or  d-boot@l.d.o. can be answered with:

  Please visit  URL=at=kernel=handbook for information what you can do

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven