Re: arm cpu/boot loader firmware packaging?

On Wed, 2017-11-01 at 11:50 +0100, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if the preferred direction is many small firmware packages
> (e.g. see the microcode firmware packages for intel, amd, ...), or if
> firmware-nonfree maintained by kernel team is a good place to have all of
> it in one place.
>
> Is firmware-nonfree the right place for arm cpu/boot loader firmware blobs?

firmware-nonfree is a package of a subset of linux-firmware.git, so no.
 (It actually predates that repository and has a few extra files that
can't be distributed that way, but I don't want to add more.)

> If not, any other pointer? If it should go into a new package: any template
> / package to use as a blueprint?

It might be worth looking at how the u-boot package handles
installation.  It might even make sense to coordinate with the
u-boot maintainers to make it possible to install both u-boot and the
other boot stages at once.

> https://github.com/hardkernel/u-boot/tree/odroidxu4-v2017.05/sd_fuse
> the files in this dir should be somehow packaged into a non-free debian
> package,
> so that debian can be installed (in that case: odroid-xu4/hc1 devices).

You'll need to sort out the license, though.  The only licensing
information I can see is "GPLv2", which doesn't allow binary-only
distribution.

Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid all together.