Re: works with amd ryzen in "stretch" ?

> Does the linux kernel work with amd ryzen processor
> series in Debian 9.0 "stretch" ?

It seems to test out fine:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-ryzen-6linux

A fix for Zen CPU multiprocessing topology was added in 4.10:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=08b259631b5a1d912af4832847b5642f377d9101

This was backported to the 4.9.x series stretch uses in 4.9.10.
Stretch has 4.9.30; so it - and jessie-backports - should work.

That doesn't mean that *everything* will work on your system. For example,
some motherboards come with the Realtek ALC1220 audio chip. Apparently
support for that was only added in 4.11, so you may need stretch-backports
to get it to work (once that exists). Multi-IOMMU support went into the
'tip' branch at the end of March, so . . . 4.13? 4.14? But I imagine few
people actually need that feature.

It also doesn't mean that there won't be bugs. But before you blame the
kernel or GCC for anything, be sure you're not overclocking the CPU or RAM.
Just because you can, and it 'works', does not mean that it will work
consistently under stress.

You'll probably want a BIOS update containing AGESA code from your
motherboard manufacturer, too - I'd suggest the non-free amd64-microcode
package, but it doesn't seem to contain anything for Zen yet. And
firmware-amd-graphics if you're using an AMD card with it, etc.
--
Laurence "GreenReaper" Parry
greenreaper.co.uk - wikifur.com - flayrah.com - inkbunny.net