Re: linux-kbuild-4.7 is missing Makefile.gcc-plugins

On Thu, 2016-11-10 at 14:25 +0100, Marek Sebera wrote:
> Hello,
>
> using linux-headers-4.7.0-1-grsec-amd64 (4.7.8-1+grsec201610161720+1) I
> needed to compile dkms module, which failed, due to it not being build
> with gcc-plugins support. Specific error is :
>
> version magic
> '4.7.0-1-grsec-amd64 SMP mod_unload modversions KERNEXEC_BTS UDEREF RAP
> REFCOUNT GRSEC '
> should be
> '4.7.0-1-grsec-amd64 SMP mod_unload modversions KERNEXEC_BTS UDEREF RAP
> REFCOUNT CONSTIFY_PLUGIN STACKLEAK_PLUGIN GRSEC RANDSTRUCT_PLUGIN_.........'
>
> I tracked this issue down to linux-kbuild-4.7 scripts folder misssing
> Makefile.gcc-plugins and other plugin related files, which results in
> incorrect version magic being set on kernel module and not being
> loadable by GRSecurity patched kernel.
>
> Is my analysis wrong? If not, is there any workaround or upstream-fix ?

Your analysis is correct up to a point.  But in addition to the
Makefile we would need to package the gcc plugins themselves.  That
cannot be in linux-kbuild-<version>, since that is built from the linux
source package which does not contain the same plugins used by linux-
grsec.

I think that linux-grsec should not build linux-headers packages unless
this is resolved.

In a hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to his level of
incompetence.