Which version of firmware-iwlwifi support Intel Wireless 8260?

Hello all,

I have a laptop with Intel Wireless 8260. Its information is in the
following:

01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 (rev 3a)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Wireless 8260
	Memory at e1200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
	Kernel modules: iwlwifi

My Debian Stretch has perfect support for this driver, and the version
of firmware-iwlwifi is 20161130-2.

However, my friend whose system is Debian Stable found his wireless
card is not working after he installed firmware-iwlwifi.

I searched and found the version firmware-iwlwifi package is different
between Debian Stretch and Debian Stable. Does firmware-iwlwifi package
 of Debian Stable not support Intel wireless 8260?

If my friend does not want to upgrade to Debian Stretch, is it ok to
add jessie-backports software source?