Re: Which version of firmware-iwlwifi support Intel Wireless 8260?

On Feb 17, 2017 8:32 AM, "Ben Hutchings" <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
On Thu, 2017-02-16 at 23:32 -0500, mudongliangabcd@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a laptop with Intel Wireless 8260. Its information is in the
> following:
>
> 01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 (rev 3a)
>       Subsystem: Intel Corporation Wireless 8260
>       Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 134
>       Memory at e1200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
>       Capabilities: <access denied>
>       Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
>       Kernel modules: iwlwifi
>
> My Debian Stretch has perfect support for this driver, and the version
> of firmware-iwlwifi is 20161130-2.
>
> However, my friend whose system is Debian Stable found his wireless
> card is not working after he installed firmware-iwlwifi.
>
> I searched and found the version firmware-iwlwifi package is different
> between Debian Stretch and Debian Stable. Does firmware-iwlwifi package
>  of Debian Stable not support Intel wireless 8260?

It does not, and neither does the kernel (it was added in Linux 3.18
and hasn't been backported).

> If my friend does not want to upgrade to Debian Stretch, is it ok to
> add jessie-backports software source?

Yes.  He will need to install both the kernel and firmwarepackages from
there:

    apt install -t jessie-backports linux-image-amd64 firmware-iwlwifi

Thank you very much. I will ask my friend to install those two packages from jessie-backports. If he has any feedback, I will let you know.

Best regards.

Dongliang Mu