about decopy to help the kernel

[ CC Kernel list ]

Dear Marga, Maxy,

Hope you're doing well.
(In case you don't remember me, I'm the guy shared the same uber with
you from airport to Fuller Hall in Cape Town for DebConf16)

I saw the post about decopy on debian planet [0].
Thanks for your work, the idea is really nice!

And recently I happened to find there's a license missing in
debian/copyright of kernel package, and I just added to git repo of
kernel package [1].

[0] http://www.marga.com.ar/blog/index.cgi/debian/Decopy.html
[1] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/kernel/linux.git/diff/debian/copyright?id=4dea43&id2=f98828

There's so many files in kernel package, so it's really difficult for
human to check and record license of each source file, and ever harder
to do the same work for each kernel release.
I think your tool may be the best to use for such case.

However I find current decopy in unstable cannot work for kernel:

$ decopy --output /tmp/copyright
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/debian/copyright.py:447: UserWarning:
Files paragraph missing Copyright field
  warnings.warn('Files paragraph missing Copyright field')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/decopy", line 11, in <module>
    load_entry_point('Decopy==0.1', 'console_scripts', 'decopy')()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/decopy/decopy.py", line 61, in main
    copyright_.process(filetree)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/decopy/dep5.py", line 95, in process
    self._process_groups(filetree, files_paragraphs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/decopy/dep5.py", line 144, in
_process_groups
    for value in paragraph.copyright.split('\n'):
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'split'

So maybe you can add the items below to your todo list:
- Add GPL/X11 license to your license library (I guess you don't have
it currently, and quite a few device-tree source file of linux is
under this license)
- make decopy workable for linux kernel

Of course you may have other priorities, but if you can make decopy
working for big project like kernel some day, it'll be really awesome.

Cheers,
--
Roger Shimizu, GMT +9 Tokyo
PGP/GPG: 4096R/6C6ACD6417B3ACB1