Re: cross building linux-image packages

> From: Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
> >
> > In particular trying to do
> >
> >   fakeroot make -f debian/rules.gen binary-arch_armel_none
> >
> > but that doesn't seem work  (gcc-5 command not found?) under jessie -
> > now looking at under stretch...
> >
> > But I think I am straying too far from the beaten track and hitting
> > lots of problems - hence the question about where information on what
> > people are normally doing to cross build the kernel using debian
> > packages.
>
> Using the stretch branch you should use something like:
>
>     dpkg-buildpackage -Pcross,nopython -aarmel -B -uc -us
>
> I got that working (except with armhf as the target) a few months back.
>
> You can also add 'notools' to the -P option if you don't need the
> userland packages; this will reduce the build-dependencies.
>
> Ben.

  Thank-you very much Ben - got that approach to work (eventually :-)

  I tried:
      dpkg-buildpackage  -Pcross,nopython -aarmel -B -uc -us

  First I got several dependancy complaints that were not valid. The
components that
  dpkg-buildpackage complained about were apparently already installed
according to

    apt-get install libssl-dev libglib2.0-dev libudev-dev libwrap0-dev
libpci-dev gcc-5-arm-linux-gnueabi:native

  So I tried it with -d  and got *lot* of compiling ending with the failures and
  requiring some missing parts to be installed...

  * missing arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc - installed the package gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi
  * missing openssl/opensslconf.h: - installed libssl-dev:armel
  * missing libpci - installed libpci-dev:armel
  * missing libwrap - installed libwrap0-dev:armel

    Glad I found out about the -nc option to avoid the lengthy
rebuilding from scratch...

  * Hmm apparently the complaints were valid - but for the armel packages!

Thanks again.

        Andrew