Re: cross building linux-image packages

On Tue, 2016-11-01 at 10:22 +1100, Andrew Worsley wrote:
> Can some one direct me to information on how to cross build debian
> kernel packages?
>
> I tried using pbuilder (based off
> https://jodal.no/2015/03/08/building-arm-debs-with-pbuilder/) but ->
> qemu-arm-static has bugs (segmentation faults - possibly
>
> which blocks that path.
>
> But I see that buildd (
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=linux&arch=armel )
> apparently works some how.

That is a native build.  (The main Debian architecture on those build
servers is armhf, but they can run an armel chroot as the kernel ABI is
the same.)

> I am looking at
> https://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html#s-common-official
>
> In particular trying to do
>
>   fakeroot make -f debian/rules.gen binary-arch_armel_none
>
> but that doesn't seem work  (gcc-5 command not found?) under jessie -
> now looking at under stretch...
>
> But I think I am straying too far from the beaten track and hitting
> lots of problems - hence the question about where information on what
> people are normally doing to cross build the kernel using debian
> packages.

Using the stretch branch you should use something like:

    dpkg-buildpackage -Pcross,nopython -aarmel -B -uc -us

I got that working (except with armhf as the target) a few months back.

You can also add 'notools' to the -P option if you don't need the
userland packages; this will reduce the build-dependencies.

Horngren's Observation:
                   Among economists, the real world is often a special
case.