Re: Debian kernel 4.7.2-1 build on Sid and Jessie fails

On Fri, 2016-09-02 at 16:49 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-09-02 at 03:35 -0700, Jose R Rodriguez wrote:
> >
> > Niltze, all!
> >
> > Currently running Reiser4-patched kernel 4.7 built from pristine
> > source upstream:
> >
> > Linux mictlantecuhtli 4.7.0.tezcatlipoca #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Aug 10
> > 05:04:17 PDT 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >
> > On the other hand, I have experienced multiple issues building
> > Debian'ized kernel 4.7.2-1 -- first building on Jessie modified for
> > GCC 4.9;
> >  and then attempting build on Jessie-built GCC 5.3. And finally I
> > attempted the build on Debian Unstable and it failed, as well.
> > Below are the offending sections -- which, by the way -- roughly
> > correspond in all instances of Debian and GCC:
> [...]
>
> This happens if you invoke debian/rules directly and not through dpkg-
> buildpackage.

Rather, it can happen in some circumstances, but...

> debian/rules.real does:
>
>     ifdef OVERRIDE_HOST_TYPE
>       CROSS_COMPILE := $(OVERRIDE_HOST_TYPE)-
>     else ifneq ($(DEB_BUILD_ARCH),$(DEB_HOST_ARCH))
>       CROSS_COMPILE := $(DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE)-
>     else
>       CROSS_COMPILE :=
>     endif
>
> So the assumption is that all those architecture variables, or none,
> are defined.  dpkg-buildpackage does define them all.
>
> However, debian/rules does:
>
>     DEB_HOST_ARCH := $(shell dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_ARCH)
>
> and does not define any other architecture variables.

...variable definitions in debian/rules don't automatically propagate
to debian/rules.real, so this doesn't explain the failure.  And
although I have seen this failure myself, I can't reproduce it now.

> We should probably include /usr/share/dpkg/architecture.mk in
> debian/rules instead.

I now think it should be included in debian/rules.real.  However, until
I have a way to reproduce the problem, I'm not going to attempt a fix.