Re: LTS kernel in jessie-backports

On 05/24/2016 08:23 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
On Tue, 2016-05-24 at 21:51 -0400, Nicholas D Steeves wrote:
Dear Debian Kernel Team,

My primary area of interest is btrfs on Debian.  The most reliable way
of limiting one's risk while using this experimental file system is to
run the most recent LTS kernel, and to minimize the use of exotic
features, or in some cases not use them at all (eg: RAID56 which
doesn't yet have proven scrub/self healing support).  In the interest
of providing the most stable btrfs experience to users of Debian
stable, would it be possible to fork the jessie-backport of src:linux
from 4.4.6-1, update it to 4.4.11-1, and then continue to maintain the
branch?

I believe I am underqualified to maintain it myself, but if it would
be sufficient to learn the workflow of patch-level updates to the
src:linux-derived package, then I might be able to help with the
effort.

That's not how Debian backports suites work, sorry.

I maintain forks of debian kernels for the LinuxCNC project. The workflow i use may be useful to you if you want to maintain your own fork, Nicholas. As Ben says, this would be a personal fork of yours that you would maintain, it would not become part of the debian backports repo.

My work is in two parts, tracked in two git repos:

The first is a build system that builds my custom debian-based linux image (plus a bunch of other packages that are important to me but that you probably don't care about): https://github.com/SebKuzminsky/linux-rtai-build (see the 3.4-wheezy branch). This build system first makes a dsc, then builds the dsc in pbuilder into debs.

The second is my fork of the debian linux kernel packaging repo. The original debian repo is here: https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/kernel/linux.git

My fork is here: https://github.com/SebKuzminsky/linux-rtai-debian (see the 3.4.55-rtai branch)

Feel free to ask me questions if any of that doesn't make sense.

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky