Re: 4.5.0-2 Debian dir and cross compiling

On Sat, 2016-05-14 at 10:46 -0600, TheSin wrote:
> Hi I have been using the debian build scripts to built RaspberryPi
> kernels since 4.1.x, I just recently tried moving from 4.4 to 4.5,
> but the next scripts seem to be cross compile incompat.  The kernel
> it’s self seems to build properly, but it now has a tools section
> which doesn’t listen tot he cross compile it seems.  I built it using
> dpkg-buildpackage with -aarmhf which should use arm-linux-gnueabihf-
> gcc, is this no longer correct do I need more switches?

That ought to work, so if it doesn't that's a bug (but only wishlist
severity, I think).

Some time soon we should add a build profile that doesn't include the
tools, which you would choose by adding something like '-Pno-tools' to
the dpkg-buildpackage command line.

>  reading the gencontrol script I saw I can turn off tools, but I
> really would like to have dkms support with my kernel so I believe
> I’d need the tools for linux-kbuild-vers and such.
[...]

But you don't need to rebuild linux-kbuild for a custom kernel.

Horngren's Observation:
                   Among economists, the real world is often a special case.