Reviewing the initramfs-tools Ubuntu diff

I think these notes cover most of the diff, in varying levels of
detail.

Ben.

## compcache/zram

    16:13 < apw> yeah a lot of that is compcache adding support for zram iirc
    16:14 < infinity> The compache stuff can disappear, I need to tear it out.
    16:14 < infinity> We should just support zram, so I'll fix all of that.
    16:14 < apw> we also restore a few older compatibility options which i am sure
                 we longer use, but without interlocking with infinity on d-i i had
                 not yet ripped

## wait-for-root

    16:21 < bwh> At the moment Debian's initramfs-tools doesn't assume all device
                 setup runs in udev hooks
    16:22 < bwh> so it calls initramfs-tools hooks periodically
    16:22 < apw> no indeed, and in the last merge up i believe i did restore the
                 use of the loop when wait-for-root does not work
    16:22 < apw> which isn't great either
    16:23 < apw> i guess to make it more compatible i should have used wait-for
                 root as the sleep, but that is rather ugly
    16:26 < bwh> So I agree that wait-for-root *is* doing something useful still,
                 I'm just not sure how that ought to be combined with the polling
                 we do
    16:26 < apw> well right now we poll and sleep and wake and run hooks and poll
    16:27 < apw> it seems it could most usefully allow short circuiting of those
                 sleeps as it has a timeout
    16:27 < apw> so if root does appear we find out straight way
    16:27 < bwh> We still need something like that for (a) mdadm timeout of
                 incremental assembly (b) lvm2 activation (given the current
                 opposition to activating all VGs auatomatically)
    16:28 < apw> i assume we handle both of those out of udev else we would not
                 have been able to not have the repeated hook calls
    16:28 < apw> but likely by activating the lot unconditionally
    16:32 < bwh> I think I'd be happy to include wait-for-root and then Debian and
                 Ubuntu may differ in what the itmeout for that is, i.e. how often
                 they run the local-block hook
    16:33 < bwh> ...and then later we may be able to get rid of the need for that
                 hook

## keymap loading

No keymap hook in Ubuntu; instead it's part of keyboard-configuration
(built from console-setup, which is very different in Ubuntu).  keymap
is loaded on panic or if framebuffer is used (?).  Password
entry always uses framebuffer (?).

## fixrtc

Disgusting hack... specific to ext[234], needs to compare dates in shell
script, duplicates device lookup (and wait!) code.

## loopback device support

Was meant for WUBI which is dead, but there is some other interest in
using it.

Could it be separated from scripts/local?

## framebuffer setup

Lots of code, and infinity's not sure what it's for.  Harmless if not
enabled by default?

## OPTION= hook/script selection

Sensible to allow filtering this way, but dislike the syntax.
Within initramfs-tools only the framebuffer hook/script use this;
if no other package uses it then it could easily be changed.

## Upper-case UUID fixup

libblkid is matching UUIDs case-sensitively which I think breaks
`root=PARTUUID=` in some cases.
See <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/1548120>.
Currently worked around by retrying with conversion to upper-case,
but should really be fixed in libblkid.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism. - Harrison