Re: initramfs-tools support for nvme in Linux 4.4+

On Sun, 2016-04-17 at 17:48 +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 01:16:42AM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> >
> > By default, initramfs-tools includes various classes of driver modules
> > in the initramfs based on the directory they are installed in.  In
> > particular, most block drivers that don't belong to another subsystem
> > such as SCSI are installed in
> > /lib/modules//kernel/drivers/block.  That installation
> > directory is derived from the subdirectory in the Linux source tree
> > that contains the driver source.
> >
> > Unfortunately the nvme driver moved from drivers/block to drivers/nvme
> > in Linux 4.4, and initramfs-tools only knows about this since v0.121.
> > So long as you install the kernel and initramfs-tools from the same
> > suite, everything is fine, but if you use jessie and install a newer
> > kernel from jessie-backports or build your own custom kernel, nvme will
> > be missing.
> >
> > The obvious approach of adding initramfs-tools to jessie-backports
> > won't work, as the current version requires upgrading busybox,
> > e2fsprogs, klibc and (for those that still use it) sysvinit.
> >
> > The fix is a one-liner and works for old and new kernels.  Does this
> > seem suitable for inclusion in the next jessie point release?
> Just considering nvme in addition to block and gracefully coping with it
> not existing seems fine to me.

Thanks.  I'll prepare an update fixing this (#807000).  I'll also fix
bug #814965 - the underlying bug is old but it was harmless until a
change in version 0.119 ("Always generate ORDER files in mkinitramfs").

Make three consecutive correct guesses and you will be considered an expert.