Re: Kernel packages for 4.0.2 claim to be 4.0.0?

On Tue, 2015-05-12 at 17:44 +0100, Greg Stark wrote:
> Just wondering but is it intentional that the kernel packages for
> 4.0.2 have /boot/vmlinuz-4.0.0-1-amd64 and modules in
> /lib/modules/4.0.0-1.amd64 ?

Yes.

> I know there are circumstances where the Debian and upstream versions
> are intentionally distinct and, for example, sonames needn't match
> package versions. But this seems needlessly confusing and risky in
> this case and looks, at least to my eye more likely to be an
> unintentional oversight than an intentional setting. I don't recall
> things being like this in earlier branches like 2.6 or 3.19. Am I
> wrong?

We did try dropping the third dotted component, starting with 3.4, but
this broke some userland programs so I reverted this shortly before
jessie release:

linux (3.16.7-1) unstable; urgency=medium
[...]
  * Add '.0' to the kernel version string (Closes: #742226, #745984)

For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism. - Harrison