Ethernet device (e1000e) power consumption

Ben,

You are one of the core contributors to the Network subsystem in the
Linux kernel, hence asking you this question.

Ethernet devices have an interface to enable / disable the device in:
/sys/class/net/eth0/device/enabled

If the device is disabled using this interface, what is the expected
power consumption ?

I ask because even after I disable the device, powertop reports state
that ethernet is consuming power.

Power est.              Usage       Events/s    Category       Description
  6.47 W     23.6 pkts/s                Device         Network
interface: wlan0 (iwlwifi)
  4.01 W      0.0 pkts/s                Device         Network
interface: eth0 (e1000e)

15:34:57 rrs@zan:/sys/class/net/eth0/device$ cat enabled
0