Re: Booting the kernel on very large NUMA systems

On 01/11/2014 03:59 AM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> Maybe we could turn this on for sid if you're actually interested in
> running a Debian kernel on that machine.  It adds about 40K to the
> (uncompressed) size of the kernel, though some of that will be discarded
> after boot.

Thanks, but it's not really important for the time being. The machine
currently runs fine with the SLES kernel with Wheezy on top and some
people are actually already running MPI jobs on it to get a feeling for
the whole machine.

I will need to write some documentation on the machine first, then
figure out what the actual problem with GRUB is. Since the UV uses
UEFI by default, I can conveniently co-install both GRUB and ELILO
and debug the GRUB issue together with GRUB upstream.

> We would also need to increase CONFIG_NR_CPUS to support this machine
> (currently set to 512 on amd64).  That also has a memory cost as some
> arrays are sized based on this static value and not the actual number of
> CPUs a given system supports.  I didn't check how much it is yet.

There might be additional changes necessary. I'm attaching the
configuration of the SLES kernel for reference.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz