Re: Replacing aufs with overlayfs

Hi,

Ben Hutchings wrote (21 Dec 2014 23:20:15 GMT) :
> On Sun, 2014-12-21 at 21:53 +0100, intrigeri wrote:
>> 1. Due to overlayfs' stack depth limit of 2, until support more than
>>    one read-only lower layer is completed, overlayfs breaks
>>    live-boot's SquashFS stacking feature; Tails "automatic upgrades"
>>    rely on this feature. The current overlayfs maintainer says it is
>>    the "top feature request", and has been working on it recently
>>    (https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-unionfs@vger.kernel.org/msg00079.html).
>>    The code lives in
>>    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mszeredi/vfs.git
>>    (branch overlayfs-next, currently).

> Should we expect this to be merged in Linux 3.20?

I'm not sure:

A first formal pull request was send recently:
http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=20141209103745.GA32280%40tucsk.suse.de

The initial review by Al Viro revealed quite a few problems, that
Miklos Szeredi later says have been fixed (9 days ago).
Nothing happened since then.

>> Is it an option to get aufs back into the Debian kernel until #1 is
>> completed and reaches mainline? (I could understand that you want to
>> add a deadline if you make such a promise, of course :)

> I would rather apply the overlayfs patches to support multiple lower
> layers.

Works for me :) Once Al Viro is happy with the current state of the
code, I'll let you know (I've just subscribed to linux-unionfs).

Cheers,
--
intrigeri