Re: [ANNOUNCE] Linux 3.16.y.z extended stable support

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 06:17:01PM +0000, Luis Henriques wrote:
> The Ubuntu kernel team is pleased to announce that we will be
> providing extended stable support for the Linux 3.16 kernel until
> April 2016 as a third party effort maintained on our infrastructure.
> The team will pick up stable maintenance where Greg KH left off with
> v3.16.7 [1].  Thank you, Greg.
>
> In addition to the Ubuntu 14.10 "Utopic Unicorn" release, the Debian 8
> "Jessie" release will also be based on this kernel [2].  Since the
> regular support for "Jessie" will go beyond April 2016, after this
> date Ben Hutchings (or myself) will continue the Linux 3.16 kernel
> maintenance.
>
> Our linux-3.16.y{-queue,-review} stable branches will fork from
> v3.16.7
> and will be published here:
>
>     git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/linux.git
>
> We will use the same stable request/review workflow and follow the
> standard upstream stable kernel rules.  More details are available
> here [3].

In addition, I would like to announce a change in the kernel numbering
scheme that we will be using: we are adding the string '-ckt'
('Canonical Kernel Team') to the kernel version.  So, for example,
kernel '3.16.7.1' becomes '3.16.7-ckt1'.

Note that this change applies *only* to the 3.16 kernel, although in
the future we may consider doing it for other kernels we are currently
maintaining.

Cheers,
--
Luís