Re: Autoloading of SPI/nor driver on kirkwood (qnap devices)

On Tue, 2014-09-09 at 23:00 -0700, Brian Norris wrote:

> > > m25p80.c has:
> > >
> > > static struct spi_driver m25p80_driver = {
> > >         .id_table       = spi_nor_ids,
> > > };
> > >
> > > while spi_nor_ids is defined in spi-nor.c.  Since they end up as two
> > > separate modules, modpost can't read the ID table and add the device ID
> > > aliases to m25p80.ko.
> >
> > Woops. This indeed doesn't work.
> > Note that the MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE() is also gone from m25p80.c
> >
> > So m25p80.c needs to contain the IDs, while spi-nor.c also needs the IDs
> > because it's a framework/library.
>
> Actually, m25p80.c only needs the strings (i.e., the named aliases --
> character data), and for the most part, spi-nor.c only needs the IDs (i.e.,
> the identification bytes).

Unfortunately, spi-nor.c also needs the strings to implement
spi_nor_match_id() (which is only used by fsl-quadspi.c) and to report
mismatches in spi_nor_scan().

But spi_nor_match_id(), spi_nor_scan() and spi_nor::read_id should work
with something like struct flash_info, not struct spi_device_id.

> What's more, I don't think that any modern SPI NOR user really needs to
> be specifying exactly which SPI device it is via a specific string. Our
> driver code pretty much always re-detects the device by reading its
> device ID. All the SPI NOR code needs to know is how to read its ID.
>
> > A quick solution would be to move the ID table to a header file, and include
> > that by both, and re-add the lost MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE() to m25p80.c.
> > That duplicates the data, though.
> >
> > Hmm, for the built-in case, we can avoid the duplication by letting m25p80.c
> > refer to the table in spi-nor.c if !MODULE.
> > Does anyone see a better solution?
>
> A little bit of a shot in the dark, as I haven't fleshed this one out:
>
> Would it work to just copy the SPI ID strings into m25p80.c, keep the
> full table in spi-nor.c, stop adding SPI ID string (and DT) bindings to
> the m25p80 table (force platforms to use "m25p80"-compatible probing, or
> maybe something generic like "spi-nor-rdid", "spi-nor-sfdp", etc.) and
> eventually kill the strings from spi-nor.c entirely?

I think that a DT node is always supposed to include a compatible string
for the specific device.  It could also include a generic compatible
string for SPI NOR chips, but the *only* thing a driver can do with that
is to use the JEDEC ID command.  It can't even generically read a single
byte, since addresses may be either 3 or 4 bytes long!  So I think that
if a generic compatible string is defined, the DT binding must also
define the properties that spi-nor currently reads out of its static
table.

> I really don't want
> to propagate string-binding much further into the SPI NOR library, since
> everything should be auto-detectable--partly just by an ID table as we
> have now, but eventually we can use CFI or SFDP parameters provided by
> relatively new SPI NOR chips.
>
> I'm not sure if this is great for the short-term problem of fixing
> module-autoloading. Perhaps we should do a short-term hack to duplicate
> the SPI ID strings to m25p80.c by including them in a header (and
> backport for 3.16.y stable?), but I'd like to disentangle this.

I'll have a go at doing that.

The world is coming to an end.	Please log off.