Re: Netconsole scripts for Debian

On 06/19/2014 06:39 PM, Pavel Odintsov wrote:
> It's very important for debugging kernel oops when syslog over network
> running, because syslog can't send any information on dead kernel.
> When you haven't persistent kvm/idrac/ilo it's only one way for
> getting debug information about kernel hang.

I don't know what you mean by a dead kernel here. If, say, the e1000e
device driver is crashy, irrespective of what you use (netconsole or
syslog), there's not much help. In this case, you'll then have to resort
to serial console.

> But why I need to integrate it with initrd?

Because it fills the gap in between "kernel load" to "real init start".
Imagine a scenario where as soon as the disk driver is loaded, the
kernel panics. How would you debug that ?

PS: It is just a suggestion. Your patch is still valid, just not very
relevant to the use cases.

--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf | http://people.debian.org/~rrs
Debian - The Universal Operating System