Debian has become totally unusable on my amd64 system -- no stable kernel available

Gentlemen,

Never have I seen such an unstable system.  In fairness, this is my
first amd64 system.  All previous systems I have used have been i386
systems.  But I cannot find any Debian Linux kernel that is stable on
my amd64 system.  The best I can find is linux-image-3.11-2-amd64,
version 3.11.10-1.  This kernel boots, but falls apart as soon as it
needs to page.  The 3.12 kernel currently in jessie and sid won't even
boot.  It craps out on me before I can even login.  The 3.13 kernel
in experimental will boot, but is even more unstable than the 3.11
kernel.  Paging problems seem to be the common denominator.  I don't
even know where to start.  I may as well turn my computer off until
I can find a stable kernel.  If there's anything I can do to help,
please let me know.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :