Re: enable SMB2 file system protocol

On 12/09/2013 08:33 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
On Mon, 2013-12-09 at 15:45 -0800, Yale Zhang wrote:
Debian developers,

I would like to use SMB2 since it's faster on higher latency links,
but it's not enabled in kernel 3.11 and later.

It no longer seems to be experimental, so can you enable it?

That is only because CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL has been deprecated.  The help
text for CONFIG_SMB2 still says:

	  Unless you are a developer or tester, say N.

So I don't think it is a good idea to enable in Debian yet (sadly).

Ben.

Enabling SMB2 should be safe enough. You have to actually specify it as a mount option, e.g., "vers=2.0", in order to exercise the code under CONFIG_CIFS_SMB2. The average user won't just stumble on this by accident.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com