linux-image-3.2.0-4-686-pae and nf_conntrack

Hi,

from /lib/modules/3.2.0-4-686-pae/modules.dep I gather that somewhere it was decided that the nf_conntrack and ipvs module are dependant on one another:

kernel/net/netfilter/ipvs/ip_vs.ko: kernel/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack.ko kernel/lib/libcrc32c.ko

This is also what "modinfo ip_vs" tells me.

But what if I specifically dont want to use connection tracking?

We run high traffic loadbalancers and in the past connection tracking has been (more than once) a problem. So better safe than sorry (and we disable it always).

But whats the reasoning for the dependency: I havent noticed this in (2.6) squeeze kernels?
Is it really necessary? I cant see what's changed between Squeeze en Wheezy for this to occur.

--
Cheers,

Jan van den Berg