Re: linux-image-3.2.0-4-686-pae and nf_conntrack

On Mon, 2013-09-30 at 22:49 +0200, Jan van den Berg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> from /lib/modules/3.2.0-4-686-pae/modules.dep I gather that somewhere
> it was decided that the nf_conntrack and ipvs module are dependant on
> one another:
>
> kernel/net/netfilter/ipvs/ip_vs.ko:
> kernel/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack.ko kernel/lib/libcrc32c.ko
>
> This is also what "modinfo ip_vs" tells me.
>
> But what if I specifically dont want to use connection tracking?
[...]

A dependency of module A on module B does not necessarily mean that
using module A results in module B being used, beyond some trivial
initialisation.

In fact, connection tracking for IPVS is disabled unless you
specifically enable it (except for FTP servers).  See
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/ipvs-sysctl.txt

Life is like a sewer:
what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.