Re: The effect of the kernel version on am-utils

this work-around will make program think they run on top of 2.6.x kernel, which might be a bug if the program does have special behavior for 3.x.y

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
On Mon, 2013-09-09 at 14:12 +0200, Yoram Bar Haim wrote:
> using 3.x instead of 3.x.0 (when minor-minor version is 0) is done by
> kernel.org, so I suppose it makes sense for Debian to follow this
> scheme.

Actually, the '.0' is still included if you build a kernel without any
stable updates and without Debian patches.  But the '3.2.0' in wheezy
sometimes confuses people into thinking we aren't applying any stable
updates.  I reckoned that userland in wheezy would be ready for 3.x
releases and so it would be safe to drop the third part in jessie.

By the way, the kernel has a workaround for programs that can't handle
3.x.y releases, which also works for 3.x.  Use setarch with the
--uname-2.6 option.

Ben.

> it may be a good idea to run a test that logs all components calling
> uname, so they can be checked for version scheme bugs.
>

> On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 5:46 PM, Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org> wrote:
>         Hi,
>

>         Just FYI, as you might be interested in
>         http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=722145
>

>         Kaplan

Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain. - Lily Tomlin