Novena update; armhf flavor for i.MX6

Hello again debian-kernel!

I wrote to this list in December[0] regarding the Novena open hardware laptop project[1]; there is now a Debian porting wiki page here:

  http://www.kosagi.com/w/index.php?title=Novena/Debian

I met Ben H and bunnie in late December, and then had access to a development board again a week ago. I was able to build and boot an SD card image using a mainline linux kernel (clean ~3.8 kernel.org checkout with custom defconfig), a custom u-boot, and wheezy armhf rootfs (instructions at [2]). The Novena boards are in very short supply, and I don't have one in my hands at this time, but a couple second rev boards might be available in the coming months.

Currently mainline does not include working support for SATA, the PCI-e port, HDMI, and several other peripherals, but the Novena team is working towards getting support for those (perhaps older Freescale BSP or Linaro code) merged into mainline. Ethernet has a couple bugs but mostly works.

As far as I know, basic framebuffer graphics over HDMI and the LVDS ports should be feasible under DFSG, but non-proprietary accelerated GPU support would be new work and need to come from the community or a third party.

It sounds like there has been talk of a unified i.mx5 and i.mx6 armhf debian kernel flavor (something like '-mx'), which would be the place for us to submit kernel defconfig tweaks to, and potentially device tree files before they are accepted upstream (is there policy for that?).

I have no idea what would be involved in creating or maintaining a new flavor[3]. How can I help? Is a proposal required?

FWIW, the only other devices using i.MX6 chips so far that I know of (and might make use of this flavor) are the Sabre Lite and Nitrogen6x development boards, the Wandboard development board (using single and dual-core chips, not quad-core), the Zealz GK802 Android "TV stick", and the Ampe A10 table (confusingly named, not using the A10 ARM chip).

--bryan

[0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2012/12/msg00349.html
[1] http://www.kosagi.com/w/index.php?title=Novena_Main_Page
[2] http://www.kosagi.com/w/index.php?title=Novena/DebianBuildProcess
[3] It seems like it could be a real spiritual quest! A thrilling journey
    into the dark heart of maintenance, mucking with the overlapping
    build internals of two huge software communities, with all commits
    almost certain to be cursed in posterity!