Version numbers for linux-base, firmware-free, firmware-nonfree

These packages currently have quite meaningless version numbers:

firmware-free and linux-base were originally part of linux-2.6,
therefore version 2.6.x-y.  When they were separated out, their versions
jumped to 3, and they are both now 3.x.

firmware-nonfree has always been version 0.x.

The linux-base package has been used partly to deal with transitions,
therefore it might be useful to signal which release the package is
targetted at:

    <debian-major>.<serial-minor>

The firmware-free and firmware-nonfree packages are now effectively
downstream of linux-firmware.git, which does not have tagged versions
(and is not likely to, because what would they mean?).  We could use the
last commit date as the version, matching Fedora's linux-firmware
package and openSUSE's kernel-firmware package.

Q.  Which is the greater problem in the world today, ignorance or apathy?
A.  I don't know and I couldn't care less.