Re: wheezy and gcc 4.3 (and maybe 4.5)

[Moving this to the debian-kernel list.]

On Sun, 2012-12-02 at 13:00 +0100, dAgeCKo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have some kernel regressions with my hardware (usb and network). In
> fact it is the first time I am doing stuffs for the linux kernel team.
>
> The thing is that the last known working kernel is a 2.6.32-46 and the
> last known unworking kernel is a 3.2 (could be prior to this but
> unsure). I am using git bisect to try to find where the problems are.
>
> Anyway, my problem is that I need some gcc versions that are no more
> supported on wheezy. Indeed, the first kernel version I have to compile
> is a 2.6.37, which, as far as I know, requires gcc 4.3.
>
> I tried to compile this kernel with gcc 4.4 but if failed. So I am
> looking to install gcc 4.3 into my debian wheezy. Unfortunately, all my
> attempts failed (too many broken dependencies).

Well, we have used gcc 4.4 for the official kernel packages since Linux
2.6.34.  So it should work.

> Maybe someone here can help me ?

You would have to install gcc-4.3 in a 'squeeze' environment, perhaps
using schroot or pbuilder or a virtual machine.

But you can also save some time by bisecting through the old packages at
<http://snapshot.debian.org/package/linux/> and
<http://snapshot.debian.org/package/linux-2.6/>.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> PS: I hope I subscribed to the good mailing list, if not, please point
> me to the good one.

debian-kernel is the specific list for our Linux kernel packages.

It is easier to change the specification to fit the program than vice versa.