Re: fix for #682964 is incomplete, maybe related to #630581

On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 10:13:59AM +0100, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> So copy_exec behaves like cp(1). Maybe introduce a warning for wheezy if
> the 2nd argument is a directory in /? This isn't 100% fail-safe but
> should catch most cases (among them all of the above instances).

No, copy_exec does not behave like cp. If I give cp a destination where
directory components are missing, cp will not create them, but copy_exec
will.

Given that the documentation of copy_exec clearly says that the second
parameter must be a filename I am all for emitting that warning (after
wheezy).

> Maybe also keep the cp semantics for copy_exec and only warn in the
> failing cases? (i.e. test -d "$2" && test ! -d "$pathtoinitramfs/$2")

I tend to prefer the original semantics.
 + They are easy to understand.
 + They are already documented.
 + The suggested warning can cause false positives which calls for more
   workarounds.
On the other hand I am not maintaining that stuff, so this is not my
call.

Helmut