Re: d-i: radeon: Please make sure firmware is installed or the user warned about its lack

reassign 661069 base-installer 1.125
quit

Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Sat, Aug  4, 2012 at 15:29:57 -0700, Jonathan Nieder wrote:

>> d-i team: can you reproduce this?  Does installing on a machine with a
>> radeon not warn about missing firmware?  Is that fixable, for example
>> by using vesafb instead for affected cards when the firmware is
>> missing?
>
> I have no radeon hardware.  I wouldn't expect the installer to warn
> since it doesn't know anything about radeon.  Maybe the kernel install
> does, I wouldn't know.

Ok, thanks.  The kernel postinst says:

  # If we are installing (not upgrading) a package for a newer
  # upstream version than that of the running kernel, check whether
  # the user might be missing necessary firmware, perhaps because
  # it has now been removed from the kernel.

Perhaps this logic doesn't kick in because the kernel being installed
is the same version as the kernel in the installer environment.  In
any event, it would be nice for the d-i code to do something special
so the user is not just warned but a fallback automatically applied.

Reassigning to base-installer.

Thanks,
Jonathan