apt-get linux-source vs apt-get source linux

Hello,

(asked before on debian-user, but no one there seems to now)

I'd like to rebuild the stock Debian wheezy kernel with an additional
patch. According to
http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html,
there are two ways to do this.

Either I can install the linux-source package (apt-get install
linux-source), unzip the .tar.bz, apply my patch and run 'make deb-pkg'.

Or I can install the source of the linux-package (apt-get source linux),
and run 'fakeroot debian/rules source', apply my patch, and run
'fakeroot make -f debian/rules.gen binary-arch_amd64'.

Can someone explain to me which method I should use in which situation?

I have randomly picked the first method, and am very surprised that the
resulting kernel has version 3.2.23, while the stock wheezy kernel is
3.2.0. Shouldn't linux-source give me the sources for linux-image?

In addition to that, the custom package comes with 449 modules taking
427 MB of space, while the official one ships 2848 modules taking 106
MB. The lower number is expected because I used 'make localmodconfig',
but why are the custom built modules so huge?

Thanks,

   -Nikolaus