Re: [RFC] Simplifying kernel configuration for distro issues

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 01:33:42PM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-07-19 at 13:19 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
>
> > > What about older kernels? Say you installed Fedora 18 with an older
> > > kernel that doesn't know what to select? Having the distro tell the
> > > kernel what it needs seems to me the easiest for the 99% case.
> >
> > How is the above not telling the kernel what it needs?  I'm confused how
> > the location of such a file makes it's functionality and usefulness
> > differ...  Quite possible I missed what you meant originally, but it
> > sounds like we're talking about the same thing?
>
> The point is, the user wont have to think "What distro am I running? and
> what version am I running?". I don't even know what version of the disto
> I'm currently running (Debian testing).
>
> The point is, the current running distro supplies what is needed from
> the kernel in order to work properly. The user does not need to 'select'
> it. They would only have to select a 'add my distro min configs'.

Distros aren't stationary things.  I mean, some of them certainly aim
for that goal, but userspace and kernels get upgraded all the time.  So
if this distro-Kconfig file is provided by some package _other_ than the
kernel the distros are going to have a bit of a hassle keeping track of
it.

> A developer working with a user could just say, "select disto config"
> without needing to know what distro the user has.
>
> What happens if someone does a yum update, and the kernel requirement
> changes slightly. The yum update should update
> this /usr/share/Linux/Kconfig. But it's still set at Fedora X. The
> kernel can not be updated for these slight changes.

I'm not quite following what you mean in the yum update case, sorry.

> > Also, I'm not very convinced the 99% are going to be wanting to install
> > shiny new versions of a distro with a kernel older than what the distro
> > ships with.  I could be very wrong, but it seems like in-general the
> > whole premise of this RFC was geared towards using new kernels on
> > distros.
>
> There are times when the update breaks something. A user may backport to
> an older kernel where their Gizmo worked. I've done this to get webcams
> working. I know I'm not the 99%, but the rational for my operation was a
> 99% thing to do: Crap, I upgraded my kernel and now my webcam doesn't
> work. Oh well, download an older version and boot that one.

Upgraded the kernel within the confines of that distro, right?  So you
arbitrarily far just to see what happens.  I would think a reasonably
crafted distro config would work in those scenarios.

josh