Re: [opensuse-kernel] Re: [RFC] Simplifying kernel configuration for distro issues

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 03:09:12PM -0700, david@lang.hm wrote:

3. by simply combining miniconfig files, you can combine sets of
pre-defined options

Wait, David, I'm lost. These miniconfigs should live somewhere on
my home directory (if they are out of mainline tree)?

the distro provided miniconfig files should live in a "known location" (like the distro specific scripts for "make install", but I'm saying that we should be able to use this same mechanism to include locally generated files.

combining external files doesn't need to be the job of the kernel kconfig infrastructure either. There could be external scripts that take one or more distro provided files and one or more local files and combine them for the kconfig infrastructure.

For a distro, I could see their build farm using this as well, with a file organization along the lines of

base config
arch specific options (one per arch)
generic drivers (USB devices, etc)

This sort of thing would help reduce the chances of there being unexpected differences between the different architecture builds.

this can be done without having to modify the existing kconfig stuff at all (by using make oldconfig), but it's likely that a little bit of support from kconfig could make creating these miniconifg files much easier.

Linus started off wanting the core requirements, other people want to duplicate the full distro kernel, others want everything but the drivers, others want to substatute a list of driver options that their local systems need, etc. by using separate files that are external to the kconfig files in the kernel.org source tree, I think that all these people can be satisfied without an explosion of complexity in the source tree.

David Lang