Re: dpkg-deb: should give a hint when it fails due to filling /tmp

On Sat, 2012-07-14 at 07:51 +0300, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> 2012/7/13 Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>:
[...]
> If I disable CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO again just before building, the kernel
> indeed is MUCH smaller (I had probably forgotten to disable it before
> attempting a new build; sorry for the confusion) and it easily builds
> within the space allocated for /tmp using sysfs via initscripts.
> However, it still comes out at about 8MB larger than the equivalent
> stock Debian kernel:
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 perkelix perkelix 22M Jun 28 15:03
> linux-image-3.2.0-3-686-pae_3.2.21-3_i386.deb
> -rw-r--r-- 1 perkelix perkelix 30M Jul 14 01:31
> linux-image-3.2.21-vanilla-686-pae_3.2.21-vanilla-686-pae-1_i386.deb

Official packages are now compressed with xz whereas deb-pkg uses gzip.

> This is of course a minor issue at this point and something that can
> be discussed separately from this bug. :)
>
> As for bug #617299, the actual cause is three-folds:
>
> 1) Starting with Wheezy, /tmp is mounted as a tmpfs whose size is
> determined by initscripts to 20% of available memory. On my laptop
> with a modest 1GB of RAM, this meant a /tmp sized at 200MB.
[...]

This was reverted in version of 2.88dsf-26 of initscripts, due to issues
like this.  I'm not sure all systems will get automatically changed back
though.

                                                            - Robert Coveyou