Re: [RFC] Simplifying kernel configuration for distro issues

On 7/13/2012 1:37 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> So this has long been one of my pet configuration peeves: as a user I
> am perfectly happy answering the questions about what kinds of
> hardware I want the kernel to support (I kind of know that), but many
> of the "support infrastructure" questions are very opaque, and I have
> no idea which of the them any particular distribution actually depends
> on.
>
> And it tends to change over time. For example, F14 (iirc) started
> using TMPFS and TMPFS_POSIX_ACL/XATTR for /dev. And starting in F16,
> the initrd setup requires DEVTMPFS and DEVTMPFS_MOUNT. There's been
> several times when I started with my old minimal config, and the
> resulting kernel would boot, but something wouldn't quite work right,
> and it can be very subtle indeed.
>
> Similarly, the distro ends up having very particular requirements for
> exactly *which* security models it uses and needs, and they tend to
> change over time. And now with systemd, CGROUPS suddenly aren't just
> esoteric things that no normal person would want to use, but are used
> for basic infrastructure. And I remember being surprised by OpenSUSE
> suddenly needing the RAW table support for netfilter, because it had a
> NOTRACK rule or something.
>
> The point I'm slowly getting to is that I would actually love to have
> *distro* Kconfig-files, where the distribution would be able to say
> "These are the minimums I *require* to work".

Oh dear. I would expect Fedora to say that they require SELinux,
thereby making it unusable by anyone doing LSM development. It
would also make it more difficult for the people who don't want
any LSM (e.g. everyone sane) to configure the kernel they want.

This is the example that I see because of my particular biases.
I expect that there are similar things that distros do in other
areas that will have the same effect. The distro developers may
have decided that a feature is too cool to live without and
include it in their configuration even when it's not really
necessary. Plus, do you really think that they're going to
clean things out of their configuration when they decide that
they no longer need them?