2.6.32-5-amd64 processes stalling

Hi,
I have encountered a likely bug which I cannot find any exact duplicates of, but I thought I could mention it to you before submitting a bug report, to see what you think.

I've had problems under 2.6.32-5-amd64 on both a HP Proliant DL120 G7 and a Supermicro X9SCL-F. The Supermicro box runs a Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 V2 @ 3.50GHz.

The problem is that processes on the machine stall for a few seconds to a few minutes for no obvious reason. The stalls can include lightweight processes such as vim or alpine, sometimes when writing a file, sometimes just editing text (I've had four stalls already this far into the email). I run sync from cron periodically and dmesg shows the occasional complaint about it hanging:
INFO: task sync:32577 blocked for more than 120 seconds
.. trace ..

Other sessions continue to respond while this is happening. I read in other bug reports to run echo w > /proc/sysrq-trigger which I have done, the output is here:
http://ozforecast.com.au/temp/dmesg.txt

The first sysrq trace is just testing, the second was while a process (this alpine instance) was stalled.

I retired the HP machine because I assumed this problem was caused by hardware problems. I didn't notice the problem on the Supermicro as a fresh install, but now that I have all my software on here it is also playing up. The machine is not particularly loaded (load averages about 1.5). Some of my software downloads a few dozen small gif files per minute and runs imagemagick on them, so there is a little IO but it is pretty trivial really. There is plenty of contiguous space left on the disk:
/dev/sda2             1.8T   98G  1.6T   6% /

Any thoughts on where I should go from here?

Sincere thanks,
  Dave