Re: where is the code that generates debian/rules.gen

On Sun, 2012-06-10 at 02:13 +0100, peter green wrote:
> I'm pretty sure both from the name and from behaviour i've seen as i've
> changed other things that debian/rules.gen in the source package
> linux-2.6 is a generated file. However I haven't been able to figure out
> where the code is that generated it. Can someone give me a pointer to
> the relavent code.

I've answered on IRC, but for the benefit of any other interested
parties:

The files debian/control and debian/rules.gen are generated by
debian/bin/gencontrol.py based on the 'defines' files under
debian/config, the udeb package definitions under debian/installer, and
the current version in debian/changelog.

You can generate them explicitly by running 'debian/rules
debian/control', and other targets will usually cause them to be
regenerated automatically if necessary.  (And make will then fail, to
ensure that we never accidentally change debian/control during auto-
building.)

The program is absolutely right; therefore, the computer must be wrong.