Re: Linux features for wheezy

On Sun, 2012-06-03 at 15:15 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 11:47:03PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > - [linux-tools] build more tools:
> >   - hv (something to do with Hyper-V; requested by MS)
>
> No Makefile, some daemon to return information about the system,
> hardcoded netlink stuff.

Ubuntu has packaged it but I haven't looked at the details yet.

> >   - usbip (#568362); the current usbip userland package is apparently
> >     *incompatible* with the usbip driver we build!
>
> Okay. However I don't understand, why this tools are so tightly coupled.
>
> >   - lguest (#457652)
>
> No. This is no tool, this is an example.

But then what is the real tool?  Apparently it needs to be built per
version and have a wrapper like perf, but is otherwise usable.  See
<http://wiki.debian.org/Lguest>.

> > - btrfs improvements (rebalance, general performance, error handling)
> >   - do these have any dependencies on VFS changes?
> > - network teaming driver
> > - network byte queue limits (anti-bufferbloat)
> > - [armhf] LPAE support
> > - procfs hidepid and hidegid mount options (#669028)
> > - CPU autoloading support
> >   - discussed in http://bugs.debian.org/654957#20
> >   - depends on conversion of CPU sysdevs to ordinary devices
> > - fixes for THP with slow writeback (#675493)
> > - seccomp filters and no_new_privs (#675615)
>
> Okay.

That's OK to all the above?

You've been interested in btrfs so can you have a look at the
possibility of backporting the later changes?

> > - yama LSM
>
> Looks like a place to put restrictions that have no other place.
>
> > - [arm] BPF JIT compiler
>
> Okay.
>
> > - rename to linux
>
> Can we do the moving of bugs without breaking too much?

Jonathan seems to think so.

> > - move bug scripts to linux-base
> > - move more maintainer script logic to linux-base
>
> Okay.
>
> > - convert each patch series to quilt format
> >   - possibly also convert to source format 3.0 (quilt)
>
> Works.

Knowledge is power.  France is bacon.