Re: amd64 as default architecture

On Sun, 2012-05-20 at 14:02 -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> Ben Hutchings wrote:
> >>
> >> As in drop the i386 arch?
> >
> > No, keep i386 userland only.  Though we might consider reducing even
> > that to a 'partial architecture' that has only libraries (similar to
> > ia32-libs today, only cleaner).
>
> I'd love to see that happen someday, but at the moment, new x86 systems
> still get sold that don't support 64-bit.  Notably, many low-power Atom
> processors still don't support 64-bit.

Right, though I think these are going into phones now, not netbooks.

> If at some point 64-bit becomes
> a required feature on all new x86 processors, with a definite indication
> that no new 32-bit-only processors will ever show up, then a few years
> after that this change could become reasonable.
[...]

So about 2030 then?  I don't believe we need to wait that long - for
example, we dropped support for 386-class processors in 2004 even though
Intel was still selling them (finally EOL'd in 9/2007, apparently).  But
certainly we should consider just how many systems might be affected by
changes in minimum specs.

(Should we consider gathering selected hardware specs in popcon?)

You can't have everything.  Where would you put it?