Re: xz compression support

On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 15:14 +0300, Touko Korpela wrote:
> Binary packages built from linux-2.6 source are now xz compressed (or was
> that reverted)?
> What about kernel images (vmlinuz) and initramfs images?
> Is it enabled only for some architectures (arm)?

It's enabled for all packages on all architectures.  vmlinuz is still
gzipped on most architectures, but we might change that.  initramfs
compression is controlled by the initramfs builder, i.e. initramfs-tools
or dracut.

> Another issue is source package. Shouldn't it be xz compressed (upstream
> tarballs are available also in xz)?

I expect it will be when we switch to 3.0 format.  The upstream tarball
compression is irrelevant since we have to repack for DFSG compliance.
I for one always build the 'orig' tarball from git instead of the
upstream tarball.

> P.s. Is xz-utils update coming soon, package has some bugs accumulated.

No idea.

Every program is either trivial or else contains at least one bug