Re: postinst of linux-image complains if initrd has different file name

On Tue, 2012-04-10 at 19:10 +0200, Thomas Lange wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when using dracut (017-1) instead of initramfs-tools on a wheezy
> machine /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-3.2.0-2-amd64.postinst creates
> and complains about a dangling symlink /initrd.img. This is because
> dracut creates a initrd file called initramfs-3.2.0-2-amd64.img. This
> is properly detected by update-grub but not by the postinst script of
> the linux-image package.
>
> Is there a policy that the initrd must be called initrd.img-`uname
> -r`?

It's not written anywhere, but linux-initramfs-tool is expected to
create files with this name.

> Since grub handles different initrd file names (in
> /etc/grub.d/10_linux), I assume the postinst of the linux-image
> package should also handle a initrd called initramfs*.img.

GRUB might know about this but I bet most of the other boot loaders
don't.

> If dracut would use the same name for the initrd as initramfs-tools,
> then there are two programs in /etc/kernel/postinst.d which would
> write to the same file. So, IMO dracut must use another file name
> for its initrd and the postinst of linux-image should support initrd
> file names like initramfs...... What's your oppinion?

I think dracut and initramfs-tools should each conflict with
linux-initramfs-tool.

It is easier to change the specification to fit the program than vice versa.