Re: ARM: backporting dreamplug patches for Wheezy

On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 15:09 +0100, Arnaud Patard wrote:
> Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 2012-03-01 at 07:39 +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> >> An initial set of patches for the Dreamplug (basically a descendant of
> >> shivaplug, guruplug etc, see [0]) have been accepted into the ARM SoC
> >> maintainer's tree.
> >>
> >> Would it be acceptable to backport these to the Wheezy kernel? I'm happy
> >> to do the backporting and test them etc. I recently started running a
> >> Dreamplug as my home firewall so I'm motivated to have this h/w
> >> supported in Debian.
> >
> > So long as one of the existing flavours (kirkwood?) can support this as
> > well, I see no problem with it.  I'll leave it to the ARM maintainers to
> > assess the state of the code.
>
> It's not a matter of kirkwood only. iirc, one needs more patches than
> the 2 mentionned here and some a modifying code inside plat-orion.

Are you sure? The two patches I'm talking about touch:
$ git diff --stat HEAD~2
 arch/arm/boot/dts/kirkwood-dreamplug.dts |   25 ++++
 arch/arm/boot/dts/kirkwood.dtsi          |    6 +
 arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/Kconfig           |   14 +++
 arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/Makefile          |    1 +
 arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/Makefile.boot     |    2 +
 arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/board-dt.c        |  180 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've applied these to v3.3-rc4 and they worked fine.

I also tested a previous non-DT version of dreamplug support on v3.2.
These patches are very similar apart from the user of DT other the
mach-type to identify the dreamplug.

I haven't yet tested backported versions of the two DT patches.

The DT support in the above is very basic and doesn't extend to many
peripherals at all (only the UART). In fact if we only take the first
patch then it only covers board ID and none of the peripherals.

>  This
> means it can have some side effects on orion and mv78xxx platforms too
> (and I think that the patches merged have been tested only on dreamplug
> and not on orion/mv78xxx). Also, I don't know if the kirkwood kernels
> made with device tree stuff enabled in kernel have no bad side effect on
> other kirkwood devices
>
> I'll have a look but it does not mean it'll be merged. If one needs to
> backport the whole arm-soc tree to get it, I fear wear we'll be in
> troubles.

I hope it won't come to that.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell
Current Noise: Crippled Black Phoenix - Laying Traps

Save yourself from the 'Gates' of hell, use Linux."  -- like that one.
		-- The_Kind @ LinuxNet