Re: I can't compile kernel with Debian 6.0.4(squeeze) since gold.h

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:53:28 -0500 (EST), peter.meng wrote:

> HI
>
> I'm newbie on Debian .
> I install Debian 6.0.4(squeeze) on Dell E6410 .
> I just compile kernel as following step bu met the issue .
>
> 1. aptitude install fakeroot kernel-package linux-source-2.6
> 2. cd /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.32
> 3. copy /boot/config-2.6.32-5-686 to /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.32/.config
> 4. fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --revision=peter1.0 kernel_image
>
> WARNING: modpost: Found 2 section mismatch(es).
> To see full details build your kernel with:
> 'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'
>   GEN     .version
>   CHK     include/linux/compile.h
>   UPD     include/linux/compile.h
>   CC      init/version.o
>   LD      init/built-in.o
>   LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
> ld: internal error in convert_types, at ../../gold/gold.h:294
> make[1]: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.32'
> make: *** [debian/stamp/build/kernel] Error 2
>
> 5. dpkg -l binutils-gold
> | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
> |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name                  Version               Description
> +++-=====================-=====================-==========================================================
> ii  binutils-gold         2.20.1-16             The (experimental) GNU
gold linker utility

> Please help me to solve this issue .
>
> Best Regards .
> Peter Meng
> mengsanshui@gmail.com

Hello, Peter.  I am not on the kernel team and I do not speak for them.
I do, however, monitor the debian-kernel mailing list.

The kernel team does not support kernel-package.  They will no doubt
suggest other methods for building a custom kernel, such as "make deb-pkg".
If you want to use kernel-package (make-kpkg) to build your kernel,
I suggest that you look at the following web page:

   http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm

I myself still use kernel-package, for various reasons which are documented
in the above web page.  However, I am starting to become concerned about the
lack of attention that the upstream author and Debian package maintainer
for kernel-package, Manoj Srivastava, has been paying to the package lately.
The last upload was an NMU, and an unofficial patch is required to get it
to work with Linux Version 3 kernels.  Also, kernel-package doesn't work
with "make" 3.82 or later.  Unless the package gets some attention soon,
I may stop recommending it.

Any further communication regarding this issue should be posted to debian-user,
since the kernel team does not support kernel-package.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :