Re: Linux 3.2 in Debian 7.0

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 11:51:38AM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 03:46:29AM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > Greg,
> >
> > We've decided to go with Linux 3.2 for the next Debian stable release,
> > so we'll be interested in a 3.2.y longterm series.  I believe there was
> > a volunteer from Ubuntu to look after that once you've had enough of it,
> > but I seem to have lost the relevant mail.
>
> I will not be handing any stable/longterm maintance over to anyone who
> does not have a _lot_ of kernel community experience, so that seems to
> rule out just about all Ubuntu developers at this point in time from
> what I can tell.
>
> As I think this will be a Debian/Ubuntu thing only, I don't know if
> keeping the kernel.org version around for any length of time is really
> going to help much out here, do you?

There is no connection between Debian and Ubuntu kernel packages,
unlike many other packages that are co-maintained or copied between
the distributions.  So it is valuable to have a distinct upstream
branch as the basis for our respective Linux kernel packages.

A longterm 3.2.y branch might also be useful for Fedora 16, though
the Fedora maintainers may prefer to carry on updating to newer
mainline releases.

                                                              - Albert Camus