Re: kernel-package for wheezy

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 17:09:32 -0500 (EST), Ben Hutchings wrote:

> kernel-package is apparently not compatible with Linux 3.x and I don't
> believe it can be released with wheezy in this state.
>
> You have not uploaded a new version for 18 months.  If you do not have
> time to work on kernel-package, please RFH/RFA/orphan it as appropriate.

I don't mean to butt in to a private conversation here, gentlemen,
but I too have noticed the problem with kernel-package and Linux 3.x,
and I have published an unofficial patch that seems to enable it to work.
The patch is available here

   http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/kernel-package/linuxv3.diff

I refer to this patch on my kernel-building web page

   http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm

As I state in my web page, this is an unofficial patch: it is not
provided by, nor endorsed by, the upstream author or the Debian
package maintainer for kernel-package (i.e. Manoj).  It seems to
work for me and for my purposes, but I do not warrant the patch
to be free from defects.  Take this with as many grains of salt
as you think it's worth.

P.S. kernel-package is also incompatible with make 3.82

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :